December 2, 2013

Fall Update 2013

Hey guys!! I can honestly say I love this blog! Its been such an amazing platform for me to share my experiences thus far with friends, family and who ever else is interested in reading about them. So what have I been up to lately??


Oyuna's Birthday Luncheon

Approximately two weeks before we departed for our epic expedition to mother mountain, we celebrated Oyuna's 58th birthday. Oyuna is pharmacist here in Altai and she recently retired from teaching at the Health Sciences University of Mongolia. She manages her own pharmacy right next to the general hospital, so what better place to celebrate her birthday than in her office during lunch! We had an awesome time, my site mates Jerome and Love were there along with Jargal and other teachers from the college. We sang songs and had our fair share of lunch meats, candy and cake.













Muhkbaatars Last Day

 I have the unfortunate displeasure to tell you all that my friend and main counterpart Muhkbaatar has resigned from the GAA Health Department. He has decided to pursue his master's degree in Ulan Bator and we wish him all the best! Good luck Muugii!
I made him a going away card and chocolate chuck muffins on his last day :( Miss you Muggii!

 





















Thanksgiving 2013

We celebrated Thanksgiving a week earlier here in Altai this year at my home, nevertheless it was still an awesome time. I prepared lemon rosemary chicken, baked macaroni and cheese, a house salad, garlic mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, quiche tarts and chocolate chuck cupcakes for dessert. My site mates Max brought  Tzatziki and veggies while Jerome made hot chocolate and Love made mashed yams. Byron and Sondra made a wonderful apple pie crumble with whipped cream (a real treat out here in the our isolated soum) and Magda brought snacks for us to munch on afterwards. Dinner was amazing and we played Phase 10 afterwards. Once again good times! Now you would never know we celebrated Thanksgiving, given the photo we all took together has Christmas decorations hanging up in the background (I couldn't resist waiting until after Thanksgiving to decorate this year). I also forgot to take pictures of our wonderful meal :( All I have is whats posted below.

Yes I know who takes a Thanksgiving photo with Christmas decorations as the backdrop…we do! lol

So heres the salad...

Heres the quiche crust before I added the filling and….
Heres a chicken salad I made with the left overs lol I'm really regretting not taking more pics this just doesn't do any justice


Christmas Decorations 2013

Cue Toni Braxton's Christmas Time is Here, deck the halls with boughs of holly, break out that tinsel and tree because the most wonderful time of year is here folks!! Christmas is my favorite holiday, for one its Jesus' birthday and secondly its a time of giving and joy. What do you do when you're thousands of kilometers from home?? You go decorate every inch of your Mongolian apartment turning it into a winter wonderland. Merry Christmas, Enjoy :)
















No comments:

Post a Comment