September 12, 2013

Parte del verano dos 2013



Za. What an eventful and productive summer 2013. I had the opportunity to work with an
amazing bunch of individuals in Darkhan. Time really does fly when your busy, you almost wish there were more hours in a day. I was a little nervous and apprehensive about being a trainer this summer to be honest, those emotions were short lived after meeting my training group. The M24 health trainees were an outstanding group of people to work with. I couldn't have asked for a more respectful and engaged people. Our days were long and tiresome but I would do it all again in a heart beat. So after all of the reports, evaluations and meetings it was time to swear in the 24th class of Peace Corps Mongolia Volunteers. Trainees performed a series of traditional Mongolian songs and dances and were sworn in by both our PC Mongolia country director and the US ambassador to Mongolia.
M24 Health Trainees along with HCT Bolormaa and I

PST 2013 Health Sector Training Staff

Health Technical Trainers


Hanging out in the tent during our PST staff picnic
PST 2013 Trainers


Indian for dinner at Asian Kitchen (The best chicken curry in Mongolia!)


Bolormaa and I

Friends and fellow Health PCVs La'Mia and Rosemary

PST HCT (Host country national) trainers and I

Newly sworn in M24 Health PCV's

Olivia, LoRee and I

DPT Christy (Director of programming and Training), HCT Mendee and I

HCT Zoloo and I

Laura and I

Swearing in



After the swearing in ceremony, I packed up my things and headed south for UB (Ulan Bator). At the conclusion of one year of service all PCV's are required to attend MST (Mid Service Training) as well as receive both dental and medical exams. Our MST was held at a ger camp 50 kilometers east of the capital near the infamous "Tsonjin Boldog" Chinggis Khan Statue. MST was a time to reflect back on the success' and challenges of my first year. During sessions we were able to share our projects, discuss future plans and possible collaborations with other PCV's. After MST I headed back to UB for a few days before departing for Altai. I was FINALLY able to get a little bit of R&R/downtime so I decided to catch a movie, and well lets just say, I had the unfortunate displeasure of watching X-men Origins: Wolverine 2. Now don't get me wrong I love X-men, Hugh Jackman and the first Wolverine was amazing, however I knew something was wrong when the movie began at a weird cross between and Castaway and Inception. Anywho enough about Wolverine, I was able to go to a couple of art galleries and museums which were phenomenal. And to top it all off I ate at a fantabulous Sushi restaurant named "Nyomi." (Cue Nelly Furtado's Why do all good things come to an end?) It was that time again to say goodbye to a few great M21 PCV's and good friends Leon and Kate. They threw a going back to America party, were they had a hilarious "Roast." Then it was back to good ole Govi-Altai! We have two new M24 PCV's Jerome and Max. Jerome works at the General Hospital in the aimag center and Max lives and works in a soum village 1.5 hours outside of the aimag center at a secondary school. As always my birthday not only marks yet another year of life but the end of my favorite season...summer. FYI: August 29th is also Michael Jacksons birthday (RIP). I was blessed to spend time with some of my good Mongolian friends and site mates. Going into my second year of service I still remain optimistic and confidant in the work that lies ahead. Capacity building and sustainability are not only parallel components of community development they are what I strive to accomplish in every single aspect of my work here in Mongolia. God has put me here for a reason to not only fulfill his purpose, but to live my life on purpose. 
Staff Picnic

Baseball

Partner Water Balloon Toss

Picnic
Writing Post cards in the Park (UB)


Post Cards (Friends and Family be on the lookout :))

UB art gallery (one of my favorite pieces)

This particular exhibit featured artist from Bayanhongor province.






Me

La'Mia

Sushi!!

Kate and I

M23 health PCVs

Leon and Kate

M23s

Holding an eagle 




My site mate Love and I





1 comment:

  1. Hi Eva,
    So great to read your blog! I'm happy to hear you had a great time as a trainer - long days, for sure, but sounds like it was very rewarding. We appreciate all your hard work. Look forward to seeing you at our next PCV gathering in UB!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete